What it is
April is National Poetry month, one of the largest literary celebrations in the world. Poetry has served a vital role in our culture and National Poetry month highlights the importance of poetry by encouraging the reading, writing and sharing of poetry. Click the image above to go to the official website.
How you can participate
There are many ways to participate. Here are just a few:
- Read poetry! Try reading a poem a day, or try reading works from a new poet. The library has a number of poetry books, or you can check out some works online. Project Gutenburg has a number of free volumes in the public domain on their poetry bookshelf.
- Memorize a poem.
- Sign up for Poem a Day on Poets.org.
- Write a poem.
- Share your favorite poem on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
- Attend a poetry reading.
- Check out the hashtag #npm15 on Twitter. You can also follow the Academy of American Poets @POETSorg.
- April 30th is Poem in Your Pocket Day. Print out, or save on your phone, your favorite poem to share with others. You can also share your poem on Twitter, using hashtag #pocketpoem.