Then. . .
From Glimpses of Tusculum: A Pictorial History of Tusculum College by Donal Sexton and Library Director Jack Smith:
As one entered the building 70-80 years ago, he or she found the large rooms on the left and right, which are today the offices of the director and the public services & technical librarians, were then classrooms, which also provided space for various Christian, literary, and other organizations to hold their meetings. That is now the main reading room served as a gymnasium which, during the season, hosted intercollegiate basketball games. The basement below featured showers, lockers, storage, and even a concession stand/snack bar. Spectators for games were seated mostly on the indoor running track which circled the gym. Proudly retained, it is today, so far as can be determined, the only such architectural feature now in an American library. The library itself, moved over from McCormick Hall, was initially contained in one of the two large rooms on the second floor.
Between 1927 when a new gymnasium building was finished and the early 1930s when the first renovation was completed, the functions of the library gradually came to absorb all of Carnegie Hall, which became known as Carnegie Library. By 1939, the library boasted 16,000 volumes, two librarians, and numerous student assistants. Electronics were added in 1942 with the purchase of two phonographs, a new concrete west wing stack area was opened in 1961, and the first computer came in 1982. The remaining second floor office and the last classroom were turned over to the library during the late 1960s. By the 1990s, the library held in excess of 100,000 volumes in paper/microform format. On October 11, 1991, the library was rededicated in honor of Albert Columbus Tate, valedictorian of the 1894 Centennial class and father of Edna Tate Smith of Tallahassee, Florida, a trustee of Tusculum College, in recognition of her generous support as the fourth Benefactor in the long history of the College.
Sexton, Donal J. and Smith, Myron, J. “Jack” Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum A Pictorial History of Tusculum College (Missouri: Walsworth Publishing Co., 1994) 30-31.
LCC: LD205 .G363 S518 1994
Now. . .
The Internet came to the library in 1996, the same year in which it joined the Central Library consortium of the Appalachian College Association. New online databases began to appear regularly and within 15 years, the total exceeded 50, in addition to nearly 200,000 e-books. Ground was broken on October 11, 2003 for the upgrade of Tate Library and over the next two years, the facility had a temporary home in Pioneer Gym, where it was known as Pioneer Library. The library was transferred back into the newly renovated edifice in the summer just in time for the opening of the 2005-2006 school year. A Grand Opening celebration was held on September 23, 2005, at which time the building was temporarily named The Library at Tusculum College. The title was officially changed to The Thomas J. Garland Library during the formal dedication ceremony on May 16, 2008.
Courtesy of Jack Smith, Library Director
- 1910. First library home after moving from a room in McCormick Hall.. Known as Carnegie Hall.
- 1927. Known as Carnegie Library after departure of gym to their new facility.
- 1991. The facility was renamed Albert Columbus Tate Library in October, 1991..
- 2003. During renovation, the library relocated to the gym and was known as Pioneer Library.
- 2005. Upon return to renovated and expanded building, facility was known as The Library at Tusculum College.
- 2008. Formal dedication took place on May 16, 2008. The name was officially changed to The Thomas J. Garland library.
*Renovation Gallery coming soon!*